4.12.2009

prologue

Q. Who and where are you?

A.
The ID is Best Actor, an ordinary soul who has been enjoying Sandy Lam's (SL) music for more than two decades. I have no affiliation with her record or management company in the past, present, and future. My ID is originated from the title of one of her 1988 hit songs. I live in Canada and can be reached at: memories.blossom@gmail.com


Q.
Why did you create this blog?


A.
The first edition of this blog was created in 1996, where I posted SL album reviews and translated lyrics. I pulled the site offline after a prolonged period of negligence (guilty as charged). Reviving my website is a personal way of paying tribute to SL’s evergreen career. Besides, dedicating a blog to SL requires far less effort than building her a shrine in my living room.


Q.
Why is this website (mostly) in English?


A.
When I initially created this space, one of my goals was to reach out to SL's non-Chinese speaking fans. I do have a mirror site in Chinese at best-actor1988.blogspot.com


Q.
Why did you pick “For Whom Memories Blossom” as the title of your blog?


A.
SL’s 1996 Concert in HK was entitled 回憶盛放音樂會, or A Concert Where Memories Blossom. Since I created the first edition of this site around September ‘96, I just built on that idea. Ernest Hemingway once wrote "For whom the bell tolls – it tolls for thee”. In this case, for whom memories blossom – they blossom for you, SL.


Q.
What made you like SL (so much)?


A.
It started with her music: vocal performance, song choice, lyrics, arrangements, her devotion to music... After a while, her music meant more than just pop songs in my walkman/discman/ipod. Rather, it has turned into a relentless source of strength and comfort.


Q.
Where did you get the English titles of SL’s songs?


A.
Some of them are titles of the originals (e.g., Paradise in my heart 前塵), some can be found in the albums (e.g. Almost perfect 天衣無縫), some are well established on the internet (e.g., A love to remember 只情只待成追憶) and some, I have to admit, are my interpretations (e.g., Self-indulgence 放縱).


Q.
What are the sources of information / images?


A.
This is the perfect opportunity to acknowledge and give credits to those who have created, maintained and
enhanced their SL websites, without whom many of us would have no way to find out the latest news of SL, or to revisit some of her past projects and achievements. In particular, Chi’s sandyandme is the most comprehensive and resourceful of all fan sites. I would like to extend my sincere thanks to sandyandme and many other for providing the world with such a wealth of information and news for all these years. Their efforts are most tireless and magnanimous. Keep up the great work!

No comments: